Sometimes water taste can get boring. The solution is adding a little fruit flavor and excitement to your water glass!
The possibilities are endless – any combination of fruit, veggies, and herbs – can get you drinking water and staying hydrated. Here are a few favorites to get you started. Just add water and ice!
- Berry, mint: any berry and torn mint leaves. We like Strawberry, Orange, and mint.
- Fruit, berry: any fruit sliced or cubed and 1/2 cup berries. We like Peach Blueberry flavored water!
- Watermelon, basil: small chunks of watermelon & torn basil leaves
- Watermelon, lime: add a pinch of salt, if desired. Voilà, enjoy Watermelon Agua Fresca!
- Citrus, jalapeno: thin slices of your favorite orange, lemon, or lime and thin slices of a seeded jalapeno
- Cucumber, lime (or lemon): thin slices of all
- Cinnamon stick, apple – add a splash of apple cider vinegar to make it tangy.
Try fresh, frozen, or canned fruit (in its own water). Adding fresh mint, basil, or rosemary from the garden adds to the flavor.
We know drinking plenty of water is important. Staying hydrated boosts energy, curbs hunger, protects joints and organs, and helps our bodies stay cool in the summer heat.
Written by Laurel Sanville, MS, RDN, LD| Edited by Taylor Newman, Ph.D. Candidate